Peter K. Kubota Attorney at Law

Call Us Now

Toll Free : 866-439-0403
Peter K. Kubota Attorney at Law

Call Us Now

Toll Free : 866-439-0403

Hilo Power of Attorney

Hawaii Living Will Attorney

Two important documents in any estate plan are a power of attorney and advance health care directive. These documents allow you to name someone to speak for you if you are unable to speak for yourself due to incapacity or disability.

At Peter K. Kubota, Attorney at Law, every will and trust that we draft includes a power of attorney and advance health care directive. Contact me online or call to schedule an appointment at my office in Hilo on the Big Island of Hawaii.

What Is a Power of Attorney?

You may assume that your spouse could step into your shoes and make financial decisions for you if you were in a coma and couldn’t communicate. Unfortunately, this is not true. Without a power of attorney, your spouse would not have the legal authority to act for you.

One event we all need to plan for is incapacity. Unless you designate a trusted person who can act for you, your loved ones would have to go through the cost and delay of a guardianship proceeding in order to manage your financial affairs.

Your power of attorney can go into effect right away or only if you are determined to be disabled based on certification by a physician. We recommend that you update your power of attorney every 3 to 5 years, because banks have sometimes refused to honor them if they are old.

What Is an Advance Health Care Directive?

The advance health care directive includes two main parts:

  • A medical power of attorney to serve as your agent to make medical decisions for you if you are incapacitated
  • A living will for you to let medical professionals and family members know whether you want to be kept alive by machines if you are in either a terminal condition with no hope of recovery or in a permanent and irreversible coma

By completing an advance health care directive, you can spare your family of the emotional distress of trying to guess or decide what you would have wanted in your life care decisions.

To Schedule a Consultation

To schedule your initial consultation with a trusted Hilo estate planning lawyer who will protect your interests, contact me online or call my firm at .